Situated on an enormous vein of marble is the historic Tate House. Built as a personal home by Colonel Sam Tate, land/baron, philanthropist and business tycoon. Passing the north of the mansion is the “Old Federal Road” where the Cherokee Indians lived until ordered off by the “Treaty of New Echota.” In 1834, this led to the forced removal known as “The Trail of Tears.” As a result, the Tate House is now the fifth site on The Chieftain Trail, dedicated by the governor of Georgia, August 1, 1988.
The Tate House, a North Georgia Special Events Venue, is listed as the Pink Palace in the National Register of Historic Places, making it the perfect destination for Georgia historic home weddings. In 1834, Samuel Tate purchased the land the Tate House stands on and moved his family from Lumpkin County, Georgia. His son, Stephen Tate, began the mining of marble, which eventually placed Tate, Georgia on the map. It was Stephen Tate’s son, the eldest of his 19 children known as “Colonel Sam Tate,” who consolidated the marble interests and gained control by 1917. Legends were told of a rare, bright pink marble, referred to as “Etowah” marble. 1920-21, Colonel Sam began watching the rare Etowah Pink Marble that came from the quarry just behind the house. Setting the matching pieces aside, he began construction of the Pink Marble Mansion. By 1926, Colonel Sam, his brother Luke (family attorney) and sister Florentine resided at the mansion. Colonel Sam died in 1938 at the age of 78, only 12 years after moving into his house. Neither he, his brother Luke nor his sister Miss Flora ever married. The last of the immediate family left the house in 1955. The house remained unoccupied and neglected until 1974, hen Ms. Ann Lard of Arizona discovered it. She purchased the house and began a 10-year restoration project.
The 19,000 square foot mansion was designed by the International Architectural Firm of Walker and Weeks, Cleveland, Ohio. The marble home is an excellent example of the second renaissance revival style. It is an adaptation of Italian and English classical styles. The interior of the house is as beautiful as the exterior. The entire first floor boasts varying types of marble floors and marble mantles on all four fireplaces. The second floor has four bedrooms, a morning kitchen and an office. Each bedroom has a fireplace. The summer kitchen has the original triple oak iceboxes and tin sink with butler’s pantry. There are six working fountains on property of the Georgia Estate Wedding Venue. The gardens invite you to stroll through the centuries old oaks and black walnut trees. In January 2001, the estate was purchased by Holbrook Properties, LP. Lois Holbrook and Marsha Mann plan to continue the restoration of the mansion and gardens. Recently named one of the top “must see” places in Georgia by Georgia Magazine, the beautiful pink marble mansion is one of the most photographed homes and top wedding venues in Georgia.